Friday, September 29, 2006

Where have I been?
Hi everyone! Been gone for a while. Wish I could commit to writing more regularly, but life gets in the way sometimes.
I wanted to give friends an update of what I've been up to and what I'm going to be doing:
  • Spent 2 weeks this past summer on the rez in Montana building a home and hanging out with friends. Our friend Edson from Montana came and visited us in Wisconsin for a week also. We had a great time and WE MISS YOU EDSON!
  • I did some much needed work around the house in the past couple months such as installing some new windows and getting some painting done.
  • School started earlier this month as well as work at Tri Center Alternative School. Quite an adjustment from summer where I found myself looking for work throughout the summer. I'm glad to be in school (9 credits). I feel sometimes like I'll never reach my goal to be a teacher. But knocking out credits every semester and learning along the way renews my drive to accomplish what I started out to do.
  • Michelle is enjoying her job, as usual. She has a great attitude, and is such an unselfish woman. She'll be traveling the next couple of month for work including California (I'm going along) and St. Louis twice (no thanks).
  • My parents and sister are finally moving back from Michigan. I'm super-stoked to have my family back in town and look forward to hangin' out with my lil' sis' Hannah.

What I will be doing:

  • In October I will be going to Montana for a couple of days to deliver and install some furnaces for families on the rez. Pray that my truck will get out there, it's getting a little old to be traveling cross country.
  • In November, I will be going to California (Huntington Beach) with Michelle as well as Montana to give turkey dinners to families on the rez.

What I have been learning:

  • That I take on too many things at once. As a result, I cant' devote the needed time and attention to the task at hand. I have gave up some things this fall such as a group bible study, volunteering Sunday mornings, and a Monday night basketball league, in order to focus more on school, cross-cultural ministry, and the GRAIN XCHANGE. I have a hard time saying no to people, more out of people-pleasing than God pleasing. I need to do what's right for Michelle and I in relation to God first, the rest comes second.
  • The GRAIN XCHANGE is a youth group I'm helping out with at church. It's fun hanging out with kids and connecting (or at least trying to connect) with them. Also working with other leaders in close proximity is somewhat new as well. I have found that honesty rooted in gentleness can go a long way towards keeping communication open and God-honoring.
  • Many of my suspicions and doubts on spirituality, God, and church seem to have a sliver of credibility to them. I'm searching for answers, and have been adjusting my life according to the answers I'm getting. I am meeting with my brother every week which has helped tremendously. I'm finally receiving the teaching and challenging that I have longed for and have had a difficult time finding until now.

Questions I have been asking:

  • Do we as Christians fully understand what it means to be a disciple?
  • Am I making a difference?
  • Should sitting at the Lord's feet take precedence over serving? (A resounding YES?) No, I didn't say it should REPLACE serving.
  • How do I spur a friend on to engage God more deeply?
  • Should I start shaving my head because I am getting so bald?

Statements I am declaring:

  • Knowing your Bible is crucial for leadership, discipling, and just plain ol' being a Christian.
  • I want to teach.
  • Eternity is a long time.
  • Pleasing people instead of God is never a good thing, especially in church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home