Wednesday, January 30, 2008


Seasons of change

Kicking and screaming, I have been vaulted into the jubilation and sorrow of life in the past four months. I have always proclaimed with eager anticipation that the next five years of my life will be full of changes whether I like it or not. And I have not been disappointed. Here is a rundown of the events that have shaped my life recently:
Wifes pregnant: My wife and I have attempted to buck the local West Bend trend and put off the prospect of motherhood/fatherhood until recently. Five years of wedded bliss with each other, combined with daily doses of the magic pill have made for one helluva ride. It's time to welcome new life. Michelle's due date is July 9th, which makes her 17 weeks along this week. She has had a wonderful time so far with no sickness.
Out with student teaching/In with teaching: After eight and a half years of school, I am finally nearing the end (for now). I am 8 credits short of my Masters after finishing my student teaching at West Bend West High School and have been blessed to be offered a position at West (which I took of course). I started last week teaching 5 sections of 9th grade global studies. I will be getting my first paycheck in seven days which will be hastily deposited to pay bills that have piled up (small pile, closer to Sunburst than Everest). I consider this my first real job from the standpoint that I have just about arrived at where I want to be career-wise (for now). I truly enjoy teaching and spending time with students. I am confident that this type of 'profession' (scratch that.....teaching is a 'calling') is what God has made me for; has set upon my heart. I am praying that somehow, someway, a position will open up at West or East for next year.
Tragedy: I had the pleasure of knowing a young man named Matthew Murray who passed away a couple of months ago in Colorado Springs, Colorado. If the name sounds familiar, it may be because of his involvement in the shootings at YWAM in Arvada and the church in Colorado Springs. Memories of Matthew and I on the Indian Reservation in Montana crepted through my mind as I sat in front of television programs while criminal profilers dissected Matthew's behavior and questioned his motives; memories of his green fleece worn religiously and his love of Nut Rolls. Unfortunately (as is often the case), all discussions of Matthew's state of mind were null and void of any reference to his spiritual condition. Matthew's evil impulses and desires were perpetuated by ill-timed rejections aimed at his already fragile personality without consideration or afterthought as to the potentially horrific ramifications. Instead of embracing Matthew in his brokenness, he was allowed to wallow in a loneliness that cannot be explained or described, seeking solace oftentimes in front of a computer to share his hurts and pains. I loved Matthew and know many others who did as well. I don't believe I have properly grieved the lives which Matthew took or the hurt of all the parents involved, and anticipate that one day, in quiet reflection, waves of sorrow and grief will crash upon me in remembrance of what hurt and loneliness can do to ones self as well as others. May this serve as a gentle yet stern reminder of the responsibility (command) we have to love as we are loved by our heavenly Father; to forgive as we are forgiven by our heavenly Father.

I would love to write more and perhaps some day I might have the privilege to do so.
Until then,
grace and peace,
Andy and Michelle

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger jadongood said...

nice to hear from the christophersons!!

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great words my friend. You should be writing more!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Andy! It's Lydia; I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! I am so happy for you and Michelle and excited to see God bless you this way. Take care

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home