Wednesday, November 23, 2005

F-BOMB CHURCH
I would like share a couple of thoughts on the previous article posted on my blog in regards to the F-bomb used in the church. I will present them in bullet point because I'm having a hard time organizing my thoughts coherently. As far as the link is concerned, sorry, there must be a glitch that won't let you just click on the link for this article. Try to copy and paste it in the address box or type it in manually.
  • It would just be plain easier to say no to this woman and draw a line in the sand in regard to saying the F-bomb in church. I commend the pastor for even entertaining this idea.
  • The F-bomb has evolved from a mere sexual reference to more commonly used as an adjective or adverb.
  • I think using this word in a church setting hinges on the demographics of a church i.e., young, old, children, socioeconomic status, etc.
  • I hear many times the reference to the Bible verse explaining let no unwholesome talk come out of your mouth. It is not my intention to be snide when I say this, but who determines what is unwholesome talk? Using the f-bomb to describe as a sexual act is to me derrogatory and demeaning to the whole sanctity of sex, but I am completely comfortable hearing it in everday language.
  • Could the real authenticity of this woman's poem, the emotion, anger, and pain, be conveyed any other way? In this instance, I don't think so.
  • I have used the f-bomb plenty of times before. Do I use it now? It does come out occasionally. Does that mean I am against it being used? Not necessary. I didn't grow up in a family where it was used at all, therefore I don't intend to use it in my vocabulary. For some people the f-bomb was used in the home as much as they eat food; frequently, everyday.
  • My brother asked a great question, "Does it add value?" Great question. In a specific context, yes it does.
  • I believe the pastor of this flock took every precautionary measure and took a calculated risk. I think he did a great job. There are three more parts to this article/blog and can be found at the link I provided before on the right side of the page. Thanks for reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home